Friday, April 15, 2005

2005 - Friday, April 8th – The Kickoff:

I left work at Noon because god knows I couldn’t concentrate to save my life. I went home, had some lunch, watched “The OC” from the night before and just relaxed. Nothing like some Seth Cohen to make your day peaceful and light! God bless that character.

I was hoping to get some sleep when the phone rang. It was Sharon, one of my actresses from last years 48 Hour Film Project and she was offering her last minute talents if needed. Oh that and if we needed fresh blood, she had her period. Nice! I told her that as far as I was concerned, she was in! Hell, we told almost everyone we auditioned that they were in (you never know who you might need when you pull that genre out of that hat!).

I began getting nervous around 3:30 when I realized that I had not heard from my Co-Producer and our DP (they were together). When I got in touch, they had done a ton of errands getting together a goodie box full of the things most forgotten on a shoot (tape, scissors, extra light bulbs, exactos, band aids…). Plus, they had spent a good portion of the day in the North End getting releases signed by about 9 locations (bakeries, restaurants, butchers, barbers, etc.). They were busy gals and I had just finished watching Seth Cohen catch the “Risky Business” glass egg as it flew through the air! The day was going well. We agreed to meet at the kick-off event which was being held at Boston Beer Works (across from Fenway Park) at 6pm.

I walked over to BBW and met the girls. Also there was my friend John Kelly who entered after I him’d-and-haw’d him out of joining my team. When he expressed interest it was in my “I’ll do this old school style – solo” phase. Regardless, we waited and waited as representatives from the 62 participating teams filed in. Finally Ben Guaraldi, the Boston Producer of the 48HFP pulled out a Red Sox knit hat and began calling teams by Screening Groups (A,B,C,D,E). John was group B and pulled “Spy” as his genre. We were group “D” so we had a while to wait.

Rosemary, Brandi and I discussed the genres in which we would be willing to give up for the “Wild Card Genre.” The Wild Card was going to be a much harder, more specific genre of film that could be chosen if you did not like the genre you originally pulled. Examples were: “Buddy Film, Foreign Film, Historical Fiction…” I figured if we pulled Sci-Fi again, I was all about Wild Card! It couldn’t be worse. Alas, Group D’s turn to draw. Ben calls our team, I head on up and pull out of the Sox hat… “Detective/Cop”

I walk back and we are not jazzed about “Detective/Cop” but it’s doable. They asked who would like to exchange their genre for the Wild Card and the three of us looked at each other and all said “Why Not!” So up to the front I went along with about 6 other teams and Ben opened an envelope…

Wild Card Genre: FOREIGN FILM

Well thank our lucky stars that Rosemary and Brandi spent the day in the North End where everyone speaks Italian. But now what?

Required Character: J. Withers (Former Child Star)
Required Prop: A Pearl Necklace
Required Dialogue: “I’m Not Really Like This”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home