Friday, April 15, 2005

2005 - Saturday/Sunday, April 9-10th: Editing to the End...

Editing:
We got to Rosemary’s, I changed into my pajamas, she made some Chai tea and some scrambled eggs. Off we went a digitizing. Just as we were starting, we realized that Brandi didn’t have her firewire and there was not another 4 to 6 pin firewire in the house. Where would you get one at 12:30 in the morning? Nowhere! This meant that only one person could be digitizing which slowed us some. In the meantime, she went back through her footage and really marked the best shots and re-logged everything so that in the morning, it would be a quick batch capture and away we go.

At around 4:30am while I was capturing a Fan Club scene I apparently dozed off. I was shocked away by the shrill screams of the adoring twosome pining away for J. Withers and I realized even though I only have 7 more shots to capture… it was bedtime!

I set my cellphone to wake me at 7 but couldn’t sleep very well because all I could concentrate on was finishing this thing! I heard Rosemary get up early and then Brandi so that she could begin capturing her footage while I was still asleep. I tried to sleep longer but it was really of no use. I was up and ready to go. Today was going to be a long hard day. I made some Chai and began working on one of the laptops. Rosemary made us a fruit blend so the two editors could crank out what needed to be done. As we ate fruit, she began on making sure we had all of our releases in order and all of our production documents in line. Then she got us bagels. Bless that woman for catering our needs on Sunday!

I called Jon and Jenn while Rosemary was out because we were missing some release forms. Just wanted to check and make sure neither of them had them before we searched further. I also called Ryan our composer and made sure he was in line to meet his deadline and see if he had any questions for me. Saturday at like 6am I sent him our story outline and we spoke Saturday afternoon. I knew he was good to go but wanted to make sure he wasn’t having a crisis. I finished my last couple shots and the two of us began a rough cut while Rosemary finished all of the paperwork and final details.

As we cut together the Ferrari sequence, my computer began sputtering. It worked but everything was stilted. Shit! Was it processor problems? Memory problems? Something bigger? We played with it for a few minutes, nothing was working. I decided to dump all of the video on my computer onto some dvd’s and called Jon. He suggested the same. I just needed another opinion outside of the house we were in as of what to do. I wanted to make sure the computer made it through the day because we needed Final Cut Pro to finish this bitch! It took FOREVER to dump all the video I had onto dvds. In the meantime we all took super quick wake-me-up showers and when one wasn’t showering the other was working on another laptop.

Rosemary began translating Italian into English for subtitles while Brandi began working on other scenes. After a good two hours, the computer seemed happy and I was ready to go. Reboot Final Cut, open the project and the computer starts sputtering again. I almost fucking jumped out the window. I wanted to die. Pissed, I deleted the whole cut together scene from the timeline. POW! The computer was fine. What? I put it back in, POW! Computer is not fine. Take it back out. POW! Computer is fine. So let me get this straight. Something within that one clip was causing my whole computer to freeze up on me? I could have just deleted the clip two hours ago and all would have been well? Are you fucking serious? Deadly.

Jon picked up the music from Ryan around 2:30 and was at Rosemary’s around 3pm. He was happy to learn that the editing was back on track! At this time, we knew it was going to be tight but we’d been plugging along non-stop (minus 5 minute shower) since the wee hours no time to stop! For real we worked without a breather or sense of reality… determined! Around 6pm I called Jon because the three of us had come to the realization that with only an hour before the film had to be turned in, there was not a chance in hell we would be done. The first two acts were basically finished and Brandi was frantically finishing the final act and their subtitles the whole time I was refining edits and adding music. It was fucking insane! Controlled and calm but a major whirlwind of hours. Before I knew it, it was 7:30 and we were just adding the final subtitles to the film.

Up to this point, we had left the demon Ferrari clip out of the program but it had to come back in eventually because it was essential to the Rise and Fall of J. Withers, Former Child Star. I plopped it in and the fucker began sputtering. I closed down and went back in vowing to not touch the club, scrub by it in the timeline or even look at it until we were ready to export. And that’s how we got around that damn sequence. Just bypass it and all was well.

Here’s the killer with subtitles. They need to render. Granted the film was not that long (less than 6 minutes) but when its in Italian and most of it is subtitled, it takes some rendering time. Precious time… While it finished rendering and exporting we gathered everything. We were already late but as long as it was turned in by midnight the film would be screened and could be in competition for the Audience Award. That is all we wanted, to SCREEN! Once we had accepted the fact that we were late and we were fine with that, it was just get it there as fast as possible but make it complete!

The car was packed, tapes labeled, documentation completed and in an envelope. We just sat back and watched as we transferred back to MiniDV and then to DVD… it was pretty damn good considering all the problems we had that day! Rosemary called and left a message with the Boston Producer, Ben to ensure we were coming. He was grateful and was in the process of calling the late teams to make sure they were on their way. We told him we were exporting and would be there ASAP! I called Jon, talked to Jefferson (both of whom would be meeting us at Boston Beer Works), and finally we were in the car. I called Ben back to let him know we had left and we were only minutes from the BBW. No answer. At 9:30 we pulled into Fenway and got out! We were finally done with the now 50 Hour Film Project but proud as could be! Exhausted, but excited to have survived yet another year. Hey, where’s Ben?

Yeah, no Ben. How the hell are we going to turn in our films? Rosemary looked around the entire bar/restaurant. There were tons of teams, but no Ben. I left 4 messages in 15 minutes. Finally he calls back around 9:50. He’s now at home in Cambridge, drop the film there. FINE! I kiss Rosemary and Brandi goodbye, shake Jefferson’s hand and off we went to Cambridge. Jon and I drove quickly to Ben’s place in Cambridgeport.

Ring to bell. Ben comes down on the phone with another team. The guys asking way too many questions when I just want to officially turn this film in and head home for some well deserved sleep. Another team shows up at the door. Two of us waiting in the hall, two calls on the phone now! It’s over.

I fell asleep around 11pm and slept like the Pope!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes folks, their foot fetish phone sex gold medal looks the same as everybody elses.
NBC Sports Commentator�s comment after watching foot fetish phone sex

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All our hopes are pinned on one bdsm phone sex person If Paula doesn�t win gold then we are going to have a postmortem
on this bdsm phone sex Olympic team. bdsm phone sex

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home