Thursday, April 28, 2005

2005 - April 13 - John Kelly's Screening:

John Kelly is a newish friend; his fiancé Jenn works with my Jon. John is a theatre guy at heart and expressed interest in doing the 48 Hour Film Project months back at a dinner party at their house. At the time I was not sure in what capacity I wanted to have help with my own 48HFP so I didn’t go as far as inviting him to join my team. I felt bad but after last year there was a part of me that wanted to just do it solo… guerilla style. Anyhoo, John applied on his own and got accepted to the project. Get it? Got it? Wondrous!
John’s screening was at the Kendall, my first choice as it’s a swanky newer theatre with great sound and comfy seating. We met before hand and John was all decked out in the same outfit his main character wears. Not only that, but somehow he had nice silk-screened shirts made as well. Get him on a street team or something. It was too funny. It was great to see him so excited. As we piled into the theatre, I was nervous and completely had no idea of what to expect. This was a week before mine was to screen so I was curious as to what the other teams came up with. I could relax this night because mine was not showing. Technically, I could be objective and just enjoy but of course I am trying to judge theirs against ours and that just makes a man crazy.
John’s film was hysterical. It was called “The Envelope” and his genre was SPY. His story was simple; a neighbor goes out of town and asks this kid to watch his house while he’s gone. The kid goes bananas, obviously the perfect time for a stakeout. He sets up shop in his car across the street and begins running through his Spy kit. Flashlight, check. Tape recorder, check! Sandwhich, check. On and On and On. It was funny. The guy who starred in it was just beyond genius with his comic timing and foolish antics.
Afterwards I said to my Jon that John’s film was something I never would have done. It was fast, quirky, and slapstick. I wish I could have just come up with something that simple and funny! Oh well, something to improve on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home