Thursday, April 28, 2005

2005 - April 19th - Our Screening!


Screening!
Originally uploaded by duckydale.
Tuesday, April 19th - Our Screening:
I got out of work early that day, not because of the screenings, but because there was nothing to do. I went home and was really tired. I wanted a nap but didn’t have that much time so I think I just sat around. By the time we had to leave I was in a mood. I didn’t feel so good and wasn’t in the mood to be “ON.” I don’t know if it was the butterflies in my stomach or just not feeling up to par but it took all I had to turn on the charm and feel like being ring leader. That and I had a sinking feeling that Ryan, our excellent and unsung hero of a composer, may have been left off the credits. Can you imagine if we left this kid off the film? I would have felt like the most irresponsible jacknut out there. When Ryan showed up, I told him I wasn’t sure his name was listed and to not hate me. I wanted to brace him so that when noone is listed as composer, he doesn’t turn to me and want to beat me to a pulp. So you know… that may have been part of my anxiety.
Last year I made the mistake of trying to make sure everyone in my group, the cast, and everyone I knew got into the screening. It made me crazy and almost made me miss the screening. This year I vowed to just lay low and let whatever happens happen. If people get it, GREAT! If not, not my problem. It worked to some degree. I still was outside waiting to see who did show at five of.
We settled in. As usual, the late films screen first! Ours was going to be third. As I skimmed the program, I noticed that there were three “FOREIGN FILMS” (Wildcards) screening tonight. Two of which were late. Ha! We’re not alone.
The first foreign film was the most filmic of the evening. It was a Russian drama played for dramatic purposes which was different! Some people liked it some though it out of place. I applauded their departure from the comedy. As the second late film ended I got tense. I had not watched our film “Io Non Sono Cosi” since we finished it on that fateful Sunday night. I couldn’t even remember if it was funny or if it made sense anymore. Brace yourself…
It actually turned out pretty well. We got some laughs where I thought we would. We got some positive audience reaction as it showed! Pat ourselves on the back, we did it and survived yet another year. Of course, it could have been more outrageous on the laughs, it could have possibly played for more shock value in the end but overall it looked pretty good and the sound levels were right on and people seemed to enjoy it. I felt relieved and almost annoyed that I now had to sit through seven more films. I’m so bad.
Luckily, one of those remaining films was from my favorite group last year. A group of students that had MOCKUMENTARY last year were once again playing for kicks and homage in this, their second outing. Starring the Colin Quinn-esque boy that made Spudgie McGonagal tolerable last year and his ASS, these kids again delivered! With a sequence in which J. Withers tries to land his first American role and trying to learn how to say “So what’s the plan this time brainiac” (the required dialogue from last year) was inspired and quite the inside joke for those that saw it in 2004. Then in one last tip of the hat to the audience and their efforts of the past, we got one last glimpse of Colin Quinn-esques bare ASS! Those kids slay me!
We’re not even going to get into the monstrosity that is the film made by one team which may or may not sound like MireBike. Don’t want to name names, but the freak tried to steal on of my actresses at the Happy Hour with me right there and then proceeded to scare the living daylights out of her with his over planned and “philosophical” stylings. I don’t know what was going on there!
Afterwards was a Q&A with the “filmmakers.” Rosemary and I went on up and answered whatever was thrown at us. One person asked about the most memorable moment and hands down it was when Amanda’s bare ass and Virginia where on display in the North End!
As we were packing up to exit the theatre, a gentleman from the Newbury Film Series asked if we would submit our film into their festival this summer. That’s pretty damn cool now isn’t it! Although I think I would like to do a tad bit of tinkering with the film before I send it in. I’ll keep you posted.
If you came to our screening, thank you! If you worked on the film, THANK YOU! If you just read this to kill time between lunch and dinner, thank you as well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home